License & Permit Applications

City Auditor

Licensing & Permits

All alcoholic beverage and business licenses are subject to the Board of Commissioners approval. Additionally, many licenses types have Building and Fire Department inspection requirements and/or require Police Department approval, as well as, other types of requirements that departments outside of the Auditor's Office may provide. Licenses that are approved are always contingent on any other required department approvals being received. 

Business License Applications

Applications are not considered complete, and will not be circulated for any department approvals, until all required documentation and application fees have been received. Once any applicable department approvals have been obtained, the application will be submitted to the next available City Commission agenda for the Board to grant final approval. The Board of Commissioners meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.

Annual Business License Renewals

Annual business license renewal notices are sent to all license holders at the end of October with a deadline of November 30th to return the renewal along with the annual fee.

Rules & Regulations

Information regarding specific legal requirements and regulations of all licensing can be found in the Williston Code of Ordinances.

Business Licenses

See our Alcoholic Beverage Licenses page or our Business Licenses  page for applications.

The City Auditor's Office handles the following license and permit types:

Alcoholic Beverages
Bulk storage of hazardous materials & liquids
Frozen Dessert Vendor
House Mover
Pawn Shop
Pesticide Applicator
Pet Shop, Kennel, Groomer or Pet Boarder
Tobacco Sales
Vehicles for Hire - Taxi, Limousine, etc. Businesses & Drivers
Waste Hauler

Transient merchant licenses

Applications for these licenses can be found on our Business Licenses page.

Farmer & Flea Markets, Fairs, Carnivals, Circuses, etc.
Door-to-door Solicitors


For games of chance applications, see our Gaming page.

Game Site Authorization
Local Permit & Charity Local Permit for raffle, bingo, etc.


These permit applications can be found on our Alcoholic Beverage Licenses page.

Alcoholic Beverage - Special Event & Private Group
Alcoholic Beverage - Charitable or Civic Event

Other permit applications that are available can be found on our Permits page.

Public Events
Street Closures & City Parking Lot Use

Starting a Business in Williston

If you would like to start a business in the city of Williston, you must first register with the State of North Dakota to apply for a fictitious name, obtain a Sales & Use Tax permit if needed, etc. You can find the information you need at the ND Business Portal.

Helpful Numbers:

701 577-8115   Building Department     Our Building Safety can assist with new construction and renovation permits that may be needed for your business.

701 577-8107   Planning & Zoning     For questions regarding the proper zoning for your business, starting a business in your home, or obtaining a temporary use permit for transient merchant sales, our Planning & Zoning department can assist  you.

701 577-8110   Economic Development     For further information on business incentives that can help your business, see the Economic Development STAR Fund page.                     

701 713-3839   Small Business Development Center  The Williston SBDC partners with Williston State College and our city Economic Development to help new and existing business owners.

701 774-6400   Upper Missouri District Health Unit    This organization can help answer your questions about opening a restaurant or tattoo businesses.  See the UMDHU webpage for more information.