Starting Utility Services
To open your new water & garbage service account, fill out the application and return it in person to the Water Department located at 22 E Broadway. Identification is required - a picture ID for residential accounts, or a Business Tax ID for commercial accounts. If you are renting, a $50 security deposit will be required. Residential & Commercial Application. You can email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stopping Utility Services
To close your service account, we need to know the effective date and a mailing address to send the final bill and/or refund. You can notify Water Department staff by stopping by the City Hall office at 22 E Broadway, call 701 577-8105 or send an email to email@example.com
Temporarily Stopping Utility Services
If you wish to temporarily stop your utility services due to an extended time away from home, please contact the Water Department at 701 577-8105. Please be advised that if services are discontinued for any reason, a $25 Reconnect Fee will be charged to the account.
Reporting a Service Issue
If you are experiencing a problem with your water utility lines, please contact our Water Department at 701 577-8105 during normal business hours, Monday - Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you have an urgent situation, such as a water main break, outside of business hours, please call 701 577-1212 to report the problem.
Paying Your Bill
For new and current account holders: Consider going paperless! It's free and easy to do with our paperless billing and automatic payments application. You can drop the application off at our office; or print and send by mail; or scan and email to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use our convenient online feature and Pay your water bill online.
Drop Box locations can be found at:
City Hall - 22 E Broadway
Albertsons - 20 26th Street E
American State Bank - 2532 2nd Avenue W
Payments can also be mailed to:
City of Williston
PO Box 1306
Williston, ND 58802-1306
Questions regarding water / utility bills:
- For water service and billing questions call: 701-577-8105.
- For landfill, recycling and garbage service billing questions call: 701-577-6368. Additional information can be found at the Public Works Department.
- For questions regarding sewer and storm sewer issues contact the Public Works Department.
- Locate an underground utility. Call 811 before you dig. Additional information can be found at the Call 811 website.
Water quality reports:
2017 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
2016 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
2015 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
2014 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report
Utility Billing General Information
The City of Williston charges for water usage based on units of water used. Some newer meters show a unit measurement; however, most meters show cubic feet measurements. Our utility billing system converts the cubic feet to units and calculates the charges that you see on your bill.
- 748.052 gallons = 100 cubic feet = 1 unit
- A container five feet long by five feet wide and four feet high holds one unit of water.
- Bills are sent out every month on the last business day of the month.
- Bills are due on the 10th day of the following month.
How to read your City of Williston utilities bill
2017 Utility Billing Rates
Resolution 10-58 Regarding Water Utility Rates
- Residential & Commercial rates are $2.60 for usage up to 30 units and $2.25 for usage over 30 units.
- Summer water rates are applied after your April meter reading and will show up on your bill during the months of June, July, August and September. The rate is $2.05 for every unit that is over the winter average water usage. This summer rate, also known as the 'lawn rate,' is given for residential and commercial properties using water for lawn purposes.
- The 'winter average' is based on average amount of your water rate billed to you from January, February and March of each year.
Water Meter Rates
Water meter rates are based on the size of the meter.
Meter Size Unit Increment Cubic Foot Increment Meter Charge
5/8" 1 100 $4.40
3/4" 1 100 $4.40
1" 1 100 $5.65
1.5" 10 1,000 $9.20
2" 10 1,000 $12.45
3" 10 1,000 $26.90
4" and over 100 10,000 $43.00
- Residential & Commercial rates are $1.09 for usage up to 30 units and $ .85 for usage over 30 units.
- Summer sewer rates are applied to your bill during the months of May, June, July August September and October. The summer sewer rate is the average of your water usage from the months of January, February and March.
- Winter sewer rates are applied to your bill during the months November, December, January, February, March and April. The winter sewer rate is the average of your water usage from the months of January, February and March.
Other Utility Charges
Garbage pick-up rates:
- $7.35 residential;
- $ .20 recycle fee;
- $24.80 commercial minimum
Mosquito Control: $4.00 per living unit. Mosquito control, also known as 'vector' control, is a monthly charge that appears on your bill year round - even in the dead of winter. This vital part of city services is crucial for disease prevention and quality of life. The Williston Vector Control District was established in 1967. The public votes on whether or not to pay for mosquito control efforts every four years during general elections. You can find more information about this subject at the Williams County Williston Vector Control District website.
Stormwater Management: $1.00 per living unit. Stormwater is rainwater or melted snow that runs off streets, lawns and other sites. When stormwater is absorbed into soil, it is filtered and ultimately replenishes aquifers or flows into streams and rivers. All stormwater that runs down the gutter or enters the City's drainage system eventually reaches the waters of the Missouri River and Lake Sakakawea. The City's stormwater management is an important part of keeping these waters clean. You can read more about stormwater management systems at our Public Works webpage and at the federal government's EPA website.
Reconnect Fee: $25.00. This fee is applied if services are discontinued for any reason.
NSF Fee: $10.00. This fee is applied for insufficient funds via check payments, ACH payments, web/internet payments, etc.
Hang Tag Fee: $10.00. This fee is applied to any account that has received a 'Hang Tag' notice due to an applicable past due amount on the account.
Troubleshooting Water Leaks
Download a printable PDF of the High Water Bill pamphlet.